Is your Managed Service Provider Secure?
10 Important Questions to Ask Your Current or New MSP Provider about
Securing Client Information.
The Department of Homeland Security’s Incident Report states that as of April, 27th, 2017 several IT Managed Service Providers (MSP’s) have been targeted by cyber criminals resulting in compromised client data.
We understand the importance of protecting your client’s nonpublic information, and our team of IT security experts at Power Consulting put together a list of 10 important questions to ask your current (or new) MSP provider. These questions can help ensure the MSP is implementing and maintaining security practices that safeguard your client’s data against cyberattacks.
Risk Assessment and Prevention:
The MSP should help identify and assess internal and external cybersecurity risks that may threaten the security or integrity of your client’s nonpublic Information stored in your Information Systems.
- With what frequency does the MSP conduct vulnerability testing and cybersecurity scans for your company?
- What measures does the MSP take to ensure that their tools for remote access aren’t being used maliciously to access your network?
- Does the MSP keep an audit trail of their engineer’s changes to your systems?
Onboarding and Offboarding Employees:
50% of cyberattacks are caused by employees that aren’t trained on the implementation of a company’s updated security practices and procedures.
- Does the MSP offer ongoing training on updated security practices and procedures for your company’s employees?
- What is the MSP’s policy about password changes for new hires and terminated employees?
- How often does the MSP change their administrative passwords?
- How Your Employees are Your Biggest Cyber Security Risk
- What is Cyber Security Training and How Does It Improve IT Security?
To protect the passwords that protect your customer’s data, the MSP must have an efficient password management system in place.
- Who at the MSP will have access to your passwords? How and where will these passwords be stored? Are the passwords stored encrypted?
- Does the MSP use any shared passwords with multiple employees or are there individual passwords for all services?
- Does your MPS use multi-factor authentication to provide access to client information?
- Can your MSP’s employees access your network with just a login & password?
With the help of our cyber security consultants, each company can have and maintain a cybersecurity program designed to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of your client’s Information Systems.
Is Your Company At Risk of a Cyber Security Attack?
- The Complete Guide to Cybersecurity for Small to Medium Sized Businesses
- How to Create a Business Continuity Plan
- Managing Cyber Security Internally VS. Outsourcing to a Provider
- Top 7 SMB Cyber Security Trends in 2019
- How Managed Cyber Security can Protect You Against Cyber Threats
- What’s The Cost of Managed IT Services & How to Manage The Costs
- Is your Managed Service Provider Secure?
- How to Prevent Ransomware Attacks